Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Memories...the fog

This is the time of year that I remember things about my past. Or at least, it seems that fall is when I mark the passage of time. Maybe it's some kind of genetic memory thing, it seems there is some ancient European costumes that mark fall as the new year (according to some that's where Halloween comes from). No matter what, I've been performing the annual remeberance rituals. Like digging through old photographs and letters I've receive. I am a packrat, so I have almost every letter sent to me since I've lived out here, probably every photo I've taken as well and most of the magazines I've received.

I have no desire to live in the past but I do like to remember it every so often. My puny little brain doesn't remember many of the events of my life so I have to rely on documentation to jog my memory. If you were to ask me right now, I'd be hard pressed to recount an event of my childhood. Beyond childhood, my memories are still fuzzy at best. There are certain people and places that are clear but events are the cloudiest.

There is probably reasons why I can remember objects more than actions. If you know me in meatspace, you know I have a hard time getting quotations right (and speaking in general for that matter). At times I probably come across as a stoner (or an simpleton) but I'd guess (and hope) those times are rare. There are times when words just won't come to me.

Seeing as I'm better at remembering things rather than situations, I'm not surprised that now is when I'm looking at artifacts. And since this is the season I've seemed to designate as the new year, this is the time for me to get in touch with that which has past.

The good thing about the before times is that it can actually provide a path for the later times. Because of what has happened before I know what I want and don't want to do with myself. And I know what kind of people are important to keep around me. I've been blessed so far and I want to keep it that way.

No comments: