Wednesday, November 09, 2005

stuff

If there is one thing I thank my parents for is not ever bringing the idea of stereotypes into my young skull. No matter what they thought of any type of person, us kids would never hear it spoken or otherwise. That may be the most important lesson I learned from them (well the honesty thing is up there too. Maybe higher, crap, I'm saving that for later.).

I learned all of my stereotypical knowledge from the outside world, mostly in school. Not so much the adults but the kids around me. In fact, I remember a teacher calling me out on ignorance that I had acquired from the local beliefs (it was in high school, Latin class, Mrs. Wilson if you must know). At that moment I took stock and realized that I was wrong. To this day I remember how what I said was so callous and wrong but when I said it I had know idea how lame it was. Until I was set straight.

Not that I'm any special accepting person. I've lived in this isolated, whitebread town for the last ten years. And these people are driving me crazy, I think (it's probably just me). Damn, I miss the city. I miss walking down the street and seeing people who don't look like anything like me. The idea of something other than American bar food excites me.

As far as I can tell people are people. Until they prove otherwise. Then they're just dumbasses, idiots and spazzes. Or something like that.

1 comment:

GCU of paradox said...

P1 - Good job Mom and Dad.

P2 - I wonder what SPM said? Better left as a mystery.

P3 - The city's divesity is great. On any given day at work I get to hear Russian, Vietnamese, and Chinese (in addition to English and Spanish) as those are the native tounges of the folks working adjacent. It's easy to forget that there are other types of folks when you're locked up in the fishbowl there. Enjoy this season and then go get some culture, buddy.