Thursday, November 24, 2005

Drunk Talk

I have a question. There is an old saying "truth come from a bottle" or something like that. Basically it means that people are more inclined to tell the truth when they are drunk. Or perhaps they say and share things that they normally wouldn't when sober. My question is, how much truth to this is there to that saying?

Many a time I'll write things here under the influence of alcohol. Now most of the time when I do this I'm not drunk but I do have a bit of a buzz. But there have been times where I've written things that while true, should have never been posted. And in at least one case I've deleted a post that shouldn't have been posted. There are others that I probably should have deleted as well. The thing is, I was never lying about the stuff I wrote. Sure it was unkind and inappropriate but nevertheless true or at least true to me.

People tell me things when they are drunk, things that they most likely won't remember in the morning. And I don't know if they mean it. Obviously, I've learned by now not to make plans with someone who is wasted (especially for the next day). But what about the other things? Like expressions of emotion or desire? It that just what is called "drunk talk"? And in that case, is it to be considered unreliable? I'm not sure.

In my own case, I'm not a very open person when I am sober. Rarely, when speaking to me will you hear me expressing my feelings (opinions are a whole different matter) or emotions. But sometimes after I have had a few drinks I'll open up and tell people how I feel, many times about them. When I do this, I think even though I am drunk, I am telling the truth.

Man, I could use a drink. And some insight, because I am really curious about this one. So please, if you want to weigh in on this, than by all means do it in the comments section.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hhmmmm. obviously alcohol negates inhibitions making it easier for one to "open up". for me, i was as honest as i was capable of being under the influence of vodka. the problem was i was incapable of being honest with myself at the time. now, i almost have an obligation to be open and honest as i recognize that noone can read my mind and if i want to be heard, i should open my mouth. eh, what do i know! amy elisabeth