Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Movies and the comics

It seems that in one way or another, comic books one way or another have been a thing for me in the last couple days. For instance, last night I was led to read about Swamp Thing and Man-Thing which were two plant based comic characters of the early seventies. Eventually D.C. Comic's Swamp Thing was one of (if not the) first to break away from the Comics Code of the day and make a comic series for adults. Man-Thing on the other hand was a less complex character who none the less had some interesting powers nonetheless. I vaguely remember reading both of these titles at various barbershops as a kid. And if my memory serves, Swamp Thing made the bigger impression. Possibly at that age even I could recognize that the more complex storylines were more interesting. Hell, until last night I didn't even remember the name of Man-Thing and was half convinced that Swamp Thing was a Marvel title.

In addition to the various plant things lurking in the swamps, tonight I watched Sin City for the first time. Wow. My continuum for movies adapted from comic books has changed even though I never read the Sin City comic book. From now on my comic-to-film scale will consist of Sin City at the top and Daredevil. I'd say The Hulk at the bottom but the action was better than Daredevil, plus Ben Affleck has annoyed me for the last few years. Matt Damon would make a better Daredevil but not Keanu Reeves (thank god all he's contributed to the comic book thing was Constantine, which was better than Daredevil. Sheesh). I haven't seen the new Fantastic Four movie but I've heard not to expect a lot. All I can say is please, please start having crossover movies soon.

No comments: