Monday, August 08, 2005

On Divorce

It seems I know a lot of people who have recently or are in the process of getting a divorce. Most of these people I've know for quite a few years so it sort of makes sense. Whereas I have never even been engaged and have barely talked of marriage in my relationships. There was a time when I thought that members of my generation were going to try and stick it out in marriages but anecdotally I was wrong. It is obvious that it is a gut wrenching thing to happen, especially for the partner who wanted to make it work.

The unfortunate part of seeing and hearing about all of these divorces is that it just encourages my current state of cynicism about relationships and men and women. Truth be told I don't want to be cynical but I just see so much of a dark side that it reinforces the cynic in me. I can accept the possibility that I'm going to be alone for a long time but I don't want to be bitter and jaded about it. And truly I try not to be. However trying and doing are two different things and I don't know how successful I am at doing it this case.

I do what I can, I listen to music that makes me smile and/or think, write this blog to get things out sometimes, take photos and generally just try to live a life. But I wonder if that is enough? From what much of the outside world tells me it seems I need to be sharing my life with someone else. Do I? Am I really missing out on something? Personally I'm not convinced but who knows.

All this reminds me of when I here someone say "there is someone out there for everyone" I immediately think bullshit. It's a nice sentiment but I highly doubt the truth in that statement. I don't even think it is mathematically possible. Although my math skills suck, so maybe it is.

Jaded as this all may sound, please believe that there is a small amount of hope inside me.

No comments: