Monday, August 01, 2005

Signs of Aging?

An album you may have missed: Swervedriver's Raise. Raise, released in 1991, was Swervedriver's debut album. Originally pegged as a shoegazer band, Raise was not completely a shoegazer (in the U.K. at least) album. It has a very textured but straight ahead rock feel and yet more layers than a Taco Bell Burrito. The only reason I even bring this album up is that I played it at work and instantly remembered why this has been one of my favorite albums for the last thirteen years. If you can find a copy buy it. Or make me sit down and burn it for you.

Not only have I been digging into the nostaglia section of my CD collection but I've been accused of liking "old guy" music by listening and enjoying Mates of State. I can't help it if I enjoy a poppy drum and organ band. And it seems to make it worse that they are married. The thing is, the next time they come within three hours (I'm looking at you Front Range) of here I'll be there and dancing my melancholy butt off.

1 comment:

GCU of paradox said...

Dude, we're on some weird wavelength lately. I just checked out your page beacuse I wanted to leave a note and ask what kind of indy rock Pinback would be considered. I'm guessing "shoegazer" could apply. Tell me if I am off here, but I had never heard that term until reading this post. Anyway, I really am enjoying their album, Blue Screen Life and wanted to thank you again for turning me onto these guys.