Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Speeding and the Price of Gas

Woo Hoo! I have traffic court two counties over tomorrow at 10:00 a.m. Which means I have to get up super early and drive for two hours just so I can pay a judge 60 some dollars and beg for a deferment. Oh well, it should be a pretty drive and I haven't been that way in a while. I'd make a day of it but I have to go to work as soon as I get back into town. Good thing the Surly Mayfly gets good gas mileage because I'm going to cringe everytime I see a sign at a gas station with $3 a gallon on it.

Funny thing about the gas prices, when I was working at the gas station I predicted a rise in prices like this. No one believed me at the time. I wonder if any of them remember that? This has been coming for a long time. I'm not an economist but I don't see prices ever coming down very much. There are to many pressures and forces that will keep prices higher. International demand is on the rise as well as America's and according to a few we are nearing the peak in extraction. Add to that limited refining capabilities further reduced by Katrina and we have a bit of a crisis here. This country really should have started looking into alternatives a long time ago. Oh well, I'm just a mere citizen so I'll have to bear through it like the rest of us. I just hope I get another raise soon.

I will say this much, I'll be watching my speed that much more closely from now on.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bio-Diesel to the people!

JackassJimmy said...

While I agree the rise in gas prices is rediculous and suuuckks, I also have no sympathy for those people who are all pissed off cause gas went to over three dollars a gallon after Katrina.

I'm not pointing fingers at you or anyone in particular except for those driving Hummers and those huge Land Rover, Chevy and Ford Fuck-You-Mobiles that take $2000 to fill everytime those greedy and stupid bastards go to the pump.

Let's look at the bigger picture. There are people in Louisiana who have just lost everything they own, some of them, that includes life. When people are stealing food to eat on a rooftop, as dead bodies float by, people need to worry about something other than the fact that driving to work is going to cost them a little more than it used to.

I know I'm wandering off track but there is a lot I want to say. I also think there is alot to be said for the arguments going on at: http://www.tonypierce.com/blog/bloggy.htm

While I hate linking to A-list bloggers, this is a really good devil's advocate piece.

Good luck in court.

May the Force be with you,
JJ

JackassJimmy said...

Gas just hit $3.66/gallon here. Great....never gonna be able to drive again.