Monday, August 22, 2005

No light and a family tree

The last couple of nights my room as been a little disturbing. I can't turn any lights on so I've been reduce to candles and a headlamp for light. That stupid circuit keeps going out. Hopefully someone will come and look at it soon. The thing that really bums me out about it is I can't listen to any music while I fall asleep. Or even the BBC. Oh well, I can't do anything about so I'll just have to make do.

Today I spent a fair amount of time trying to look into my Scottish roots. And I got no farther than I had before, in fact I think I'm even less sure as to where my name comes from than I was before. Part of this is complicated by being an American, both sides of my family have been in this country for a long time. This spring, thanks to my father, I discovered we have a fourth or fifth generation grandfather who was off the boat from Ireland. He was the most recent immigrant on that side of the family. My mothers side has been here probably even longer, her family has been in the same valley in Pennsylvania for close to 400 years.

It would be cool to know which Scot clan I've descended from. Until tonight I was under the impression that it was clan MacDonald but now I'm not so sure. Shoot, I guess I'll be digging some more the next time I'm in Indiana.

No comments: