Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Staying home

And to think I almost went out tonight. I really was going to go but the bottle of Beam showed it's face in the hands of Hoth. Screw hanging out at the bar with the female help from Johnny's (even if they are cute). Comedy Central was on and now a live Pixies from 1988. Sheesh talk about taking in way back. And the quality is actually really good.

Even though I have only owned one of their albums I still really, really like them. I thought (at the time) that they were one of those bands that were going to revolutionize Rock-n-Roll along with a host of other bands that were active during that time and like the Pixies have never really got the credit they deserved. It was still a time when hair/butt rock and the popsynth dredge (I shouldn't say that, there were some good songs out of popsynth) ruled the airwaves. But while they ruled the airwaves there were bands were doing stuff is still influencing what is being played today. In addition to the Pixies, we had Fugazi, Sonic Youth, Ministry, Swervedriver, Ride, Stone Roses and so many more that I can't name or remember right now. Many of the bands are hot on the indie and alt scenes are descendants of these and the other bands that came from this time. I know, I know Nirvana broke the door wide open. But it was more than Nirvana. It really felt the ground was shifting beneath us.

No comments: