Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Buy the Sky and sell the Sky

Someone told me the other day that there needs to be a little more controversy here. Or at least on my part. Unfortunately, I generally have a hard time sharing my harsher opinions.

There was a time when there were enough of the dregs of society coming into my place of my employment that I had plenty to say. But now most of the people are pretty cool that frequent my workspace. Of course there are the jerks but they are mostly confined to on particular industry: Real Estate. Compared to real estate agents and developers, even most of the lawyers some across as cool. I think part of the problem I have with real estate types is that they are directly responsible for the sharp increase in the cost of property, the decline of our working community and the horrific suburbanization in this area (yeah, yeah I know all about the whole supply and demand thing but still). Not only that, but most of them are insufferable jerks. They drive gaudy gas guzzling vehicles that have four wheel drive but never leave the pavement. Really, does that Cadillac Esclade serve any real purpose? They walk around like they own the town, when in fact all they have ever done is sold the town (and some would say, sold it out). And they expect us to be mind readers.

Maybe it's the residual anarchist in me but I still question the concept of owning land (even I, myself would like to own some, just not here). It seems the phrase "property is theft" still holds some weight in my puny little brain. I think I grasp it on a theoretical level and seeing in action disturbs me somewhat. I'll accept the fact that I'm a hypocrite, I have material goods that I consider mine and would be less than willing to give up. But there could be that moment where I give it all up and walk away.

The balance of materialism can be a delicate one, if overthought. Over the years I've collected a lot of stuff and certain items have memories or functions attached to them. I'd be hard pressed to give them up. My computer is an excellent example. It functions as my connection to the outside world to a degree. And I think I would be just a bit lost without that connection it provides me. Or Trusty Stead (my bike) without which I'd have been arrested for DUIs too may times. There are possessions that while not entirely necessary are quite handy and useful to have. Yet some things are just not useful to have.

Who am I to say? I am a hypocrite. I am a packrat, I have magazines from years ago and an overabundance of books and music. In my possession there are boxes of pictures, letters and various other miscellaneous items. Must I have these? No. And yet I carry them from house to house and occasionally look at them.

All of this materalism has thrown me off track. I think all I wanted to say was that I thought some of the real estate types can be...

No comments: