Saturday, September 24, 2005

Here's to the skunk!

When I go outside for a late night smoke I almost always see what I can only assume is the same skunk hopping around the 'hood. This skunk intrigues me a bit. Usually I'll try to passively get his (I'm guessing it's a he) attention by doing a little clicking sound. I don't want to spook him but I want him to look at me. As I said a long time ago, even though they can smell foul, I have an affinity for skunks. To be honest, I don't really know why it is that I think they are so cool. Maybe it's just the way they look. They are kind of cute as long as you're not on the business end of one.

It does seem strange to me that this skunk and I are on the same time cycle. Invariably I'll see him coming from across the street over to our side and he just pokes around, looking for scraps of food as far as I can tell. I've entertained the notion of feeding him but I know that's really a bad idea. Watching him hop and dart around is quite entertaining for me though.

Earlier this summer there were a few baby skunks hanging around as well. They were just adorable, all tiny and waddling around following the momma skunk, looking for food. Like I said, I have a thing for skunks. The thing with skunks is that as long as you don't mess with them, they won't mess with you.

Another cool think about skunks is that they are one of the few animals that are native to all parts of the 48 states. I can't think of a state that I've been that I haven't seen one in. And I'm not even counting the plush skunk I have.

No comments: