Thursday, September 22, 2005

That song

I love it when a song just gets me right there. Guided by Voices has at least one of those songs. The one at this very moment is "I am a Tree". I can't describe it other than it has one hell of a catchy guitar riff and some awesome rhythm. And the lyrics are pretty cool. If I wasn't tied to my headphones and the roommates weren't sleeping I'd probably just crank it and jump around the room playing air guitar.

That moment when you hear a song like that for the first time is like no other. You know, when that deacon is made to add this song to the sound track of your life. At least in my case. And I have quite a few, so many I couldn't name them all even if I tried and they run through the course of rock-n-roll (I'm including hip-hop in here as well) history.

Lately, I've been digging in the vaults and pulling out stuff that is easily close to twenty years old. A partial list: REM "Life's Rich pageant", Husker Du "New Day Rising" and random singles from Joy Divison and Mission of Burma. I just hope I'm not living in the past.

No comments: