Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Sleeping it off

So I'm attempting to cut back on the booze a bit. It's not one of those things where I am quitting, but I need to try and go to sleep without it. There was a time when I didn't feel I had to drink to sleep but I've been scared of insomnia since the last bout.

The good news is I'm not getting the DTs so I'm pretty sure I'm not an alcoholic. And I'm not standing by the fridge at 1:30 in the morning debating whether I should open a beer for the heck of it.

Recently, I realized there hadn't been a day without me taking a drink in a long time. So this week is time to slow down. Plus I'm freaking broke and I doubt if I'll quit smoking this week, so I'll just cut my expenses in the booze department. Or at least until I feel it's been long enough.

It really is the fear of insomnia that has driven me to drink every night for the last few months. I am prone to really bad bouts of insomnia that give me an hour of sleep sometimes. The prospect of laying in bed tossing and turning is distressing to me. And so I drink to fend it off. Maybe I'm chasing demons through a bottle but there can be demons in the bottle as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I so know how you feel. I haven't had a drink before bed for two nights now and I haven't been able to get to sleep to save my ass! Once I actually fall asleep, I dream, and then have an impossible time trying to wake up in the morning. On the up side, the mornings have been fun once the fuzz clears!

Word,
P