Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Stupid Internets

The text and image based realm that blogs inhabit have a few drawbacks. Most obvious is the lack of facial expression and vocal intonation. Until there is a sarcasm (or at least tongue in cheek) tag in HTML it's tough to know what just kind of tone something is written.

The other day a friend thought I had been offended by something he said. I wasn't. He had a valid point and I needed a reminder of what the truly important things in this world are. But I was using his mild criticism as a device to show that I was a little insensitive to what was really going on.

I welcome criticism, there really is no way to improve as a person and what not without it. So when I get slightly scolded here, whether it's about my lack of seeing the bigger picture or even just sloppy grammar, I take it to heart. If you readers and commenters could hear they way my friends talk about me, you'd know that it takes a lot to offend me.

No comments: