Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The movies

Tonight we watched "The Upside of Anger" which I've been told is a chick flick. Whatever, I'm not afraid to watch chick flicks as long as Hugh Grant and/or Meg Ryan aren't in them. This movie was actually pretty good and it didn't completely cross that line, you know the one that just can scar a movie too many of the male gender. It was however every female dominant, the could thing was that the women weren't all saccharinely sweet even though they were sisters and mothers. Joan Allen (who I haven't seen in that much but that's just me) was very convincing and real in her lead role. And for once Kevin Costner pulled off a decent job (he needs to just stay in front of the camera I think), close to his work in "Tincup" although older and even more lost. Not only that there is a nice twist at the end which isn't even implausible.

I actually enjoy movies like this, the old name for them was dramatic comedies but somehow they got lumped into the chick flick realm. Truth be told I don't exactly get this other than it is just another marketing ploy. Of course it could be that I'm just a pansy but I'll tell you the only time I cry in a movie is when the dog dies.

No comments: