Friday, September 16, 2005

You spin me right round, like a record baby

I'm beginning to think I have almost too much punk rock on my iTunes. For the first time I hit the random button and every song but one has been some kind of punk. Admittedly punk is a big part of my musical heritage and I still enjoy it but as I've gotten mellower. Or as one of my friends says, "you listen to old guy music". I can't help the fact that I've mellowed out. It's not as though I pulling out Enya or something like that (although if I remember, Enya is good sleeping music). I guess I'm just surprised that I had so much of that stuff in there. Of course, since I started writing this the punk seems to have stopped.

As I've said before, I'm always looking for new music. Now that I've returned to the mountains, I've been relying on Internet radio for newer bands to check out. I don't know that many people up here that are keeping up with what is going on in the genres that I tend to listen to.

The truth is I've been in a phase of discovering or rediscovering older bands that I seemed to have missed the first time around. Maybe my age is starting to take it's toll. That and many of the bands that I've enjoyed for years are broken up or soon will be. There is just so much out there new and old to keep up and catch up with.

So what is in rotation for me these days? Right now the Surly Mayfly has Belle & Sebastian's "Dear Catastrophe Waitress" in the CD player. Earlier today I had Husker Du's "New Day Rising" (1984, now I feel really old) on while I was taking a shower. Ride "Nowhere" is up there along with "The Further Adventures of Lord Quas" by Quasimodo. I know there is some other stuff but I can't place it.

I think it's time for some more music trading.

No comments: