Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Holy Smokes! Batman!

Tonight we watched the newest Batman movie Batman Begins. Finally a good Batman movie, well other than the Tim Burton one but it's been so long since I've seen it I barely remember it. All of the others in between have been terrible as far as I can recall. And I've only watched them on cable. This one is dark and gritty the way a Batman movie should be. The casting was perfect, Michael Caine is the best as Alfred and there are even more surprises in the casting aspect.

I think one of the things I like the best is that it gave such a clear picture of the backstory that leads Bruce Wayne to become Batman. It dives deep into the impact that the murder of his parents have on him and his guilt over it. And for once we learn how he came to develop his fighting prowess and a decent explanation of where he gets his gadgets. Not to mention the writers didn't leave any glaring gaps in the script. I can't think of a single continuity question I have about the movie. Which is rare these days. And the set up for the sequel is not forced.

Batman Begins seems like they are restarting the franchise, which is good because the last few were a wash. Starting over is a good idea. I'm looking forward to the next one. Just please don't screw it up Hollywood.

No comments: