Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Politics at the copy shop

Some of you that know me may have noticed that I keep my politics out of this here blog. There is a reason for this. In fact I may have said it before, I don't feel I have well thought out political opinions. I waffle between certain sides. There are some things that would put me squarely in the liberal camp (such as universal health care for all Americans) and others that would put me in the conservative camp (mostly gun issues). I suspect this makes me a liberal leaning moderate. And moderates don't really count even though they make up most of the electorate.

This all comes from having talked to my local state senator Jack Taylor a few times in the last month. He is a Republican but a Republican of the old school. He doesn't seem to get himself wrapped up in the social side of conservatism, which I respect immensely. I wouldn't put him in the right-wing camp of his party. Truth be told, I wish I could bend his ear about the direction his party has taken in the last so many years. I suspect he may have some choice words about others in his party if he felt free to speak.

My coworker made the comment that Jack Taylor is true compassionate conservative and I'm inclined to agree with him. Hell, I might even vote for him next time and I never thought I'd vote for that party.

No comments: