Thursday, October 13, 2005

Weezer Ya'll

I need to get this out of the way, Weezer writes some of the greatest pop songs ever. And I haven't even heard that much of their new stuff. Somehow I ended up on the Pinkerton album tonight and remembered exactly why I permanently borrowed it from some one (of course I could return it now that I have it ripped into my computer). And I just realized that this album is nine years old. Damn, I'm the old guy. Whatever, it is a great album and Weezer if nothing else knows how to weave a song with some great hooks.

On a completely different note (nudge, nudge, wink, wink). Today I happened how so many of us so-called Northerners seem to use Southern phrases and words in our daily speech. I for one use the word ya'll and I have to say it is a rather convenient word to use. It is truly the missing pronoun in English. All of the other languages have a word for the second person plural. A word my born and raised Detroit friend uses is fixin'. Admittedly he pick this up when he lived in the south. But it is quite handy at times. I still can't bring myself to use it but I understand it's usefulness. I know that there are more such as Coke as a generic word for any soft drink (which we used back in Indy as well and I wrote about a long time ago). I wonder what kind of an accent I have now. Because I can't hear one.

2 comments:

GCU of paradox said...

Like when someone asks for a "Kleenex". Sorry, I only have Puffs Plus, if you had just asked for a tissue I would have shared.

I picked up ya'll in CO. It's only faded from my vocab after a few years of no longer residing there. It's a great pronoun, and much easier on the ears than "yous guys".

Anonymous said...

I'm fixin' to think about going to bed, or as they say in the south, "Pack a pine needle in the plaster cast." (I don't really think they say that in the south).