Friday, October 07, 2005

The things you learn...

Generally I'm not one to go into the whole cult of death thing. Even though death is inevitable for all of us, it is not really one topic that I really try to think about. It's kind of depressing.

Having said that, there are a few deaths and forms of death that intrigue me. Cult suicides such as Heaven's Gate, The Order of the Solar Tempus and the People's Temple/Jonestown have always caught my interest. Mostly I think due to the power that lead all of the followers to kill themselves, the mass lack of self-preservation instinct baffles me.

I'm also baffled by public suicide. Apparently the first televised suicide was committed by Christine Chubbuck. There was also Budd Dwyer (which I remember but didn't realize it was that long ago). And the whole suicide by cop baffles me as well.

I hope that when I die, my death is as private as possible and I am surrounded by those I love.

No comments: