Thursday, October 20, 2005

NWO & Marvel

In the last couple of nights I've spent way to much time catching up one comic book storylines. And I've come to discover, like Guided by Voices there is just too much for me to ever catch up. There is no way I'm going to go and buy comics again. I don't have the money and I don't want to allow myself to sink down to that level of geekdom. Graphic novels are a whole different story.

The thing about this refound fascination with comic books is that it is setting off some red flags to myself. Instead of dealing with the world around me, I seemed to be descending into a fantasy realms that only exist in print, words and film adaptions. My new escape from reality. This would not be the first time I've substituted a fantasy world for reality.

I spent quite a few years delving deep into conspiracy theories, UFOs and other paranormal worlds. Even to this day, there is something in the back of my head that tells me that there is a secretative cabal that pulls the strings of power on this little planet of ours. Whether this group is truly in cahoots with the Greys or any other alien groups is out of my league. In recent years I've tried to keep myself from getting to deep into this type of thing as I realize that it is mostly escapism and I was causing myself to be paranoid because of it.

What concerns me is that I could be replacing one fantasy for another. Although, at least I know that the Marvel Universe is a true figment of imagination. I'm still not so sure about the other.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a deeply fantastic existential quandry. Reality becomes undesireable, and so a fantasy replaces reality to protect oneself from the pain, displeasure or plain boredom of unaugmented reality.

Of course, this is an entirely relative issue. What is the reality of a mentally retarded person like compared to my idea of reality, or the reality of anyone else for that matter?

Some people wholeheartedly believe the universe is only 5,000 years old because that's what The Bible says.

Some people believe that Diet Coke is good for them. Some people imerse themselves in current events, popular culture, or perhaps even comic books.

I figure that we were born with not much else than this life, so this life is ours as much as anything else can ever be ours - and we can decide what pictures and sounds we fill this life with. Will it be the speculations of conspiracy theorists, bird-watching, obsessive workaholism? It really can be anything, I believe, and it is not really a theological issue as much as it is an issue of personal freedom.

We should feel free from the discouragement of nay-sayers as well as from the paralysis of our own self-doubt.

Now who's with me!