Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Rock musings

There is one type of music that totally distracts me from anything I'm doing. That would be music of the heavy variety. If Slayer is playing I am completely incapable of doing anything but banging my head and getting sucked into the pounding that they drop on me (with a bit of hand pumping to boot). I can't help it there is just something about those metal riffs that get me. Maybe all of those fundies were right about the hypnotic power of metal. Although I don't quite feel that way when I listen to Karp and they were freakin' heavy as well but in a different way. Karp has a totally different effect on me even though they fully made use of metal in their work. I just want to bounce around the room and fall down when I listen to them.

In all honesty, I can't listen to that heavier stuff like I used to be able to. These days I prefer my noise in a slower tempo. Maybe that's just part of getting older and what not. I still enjoy metal, don't get me wrong but instead of a fast tempo I'd rather here something discordant. Like Labradford or the more famous Sonic Youth. True noise is where I am some nights. A sonic landscape if you will as opposed to a sonic assault. And of course there are the nights I just want something nice and mellow.

I don't even know where I was going with this. Stupid headphones.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you, man! My Bloody Valentine sums that up for me, whereas Iron Maiden used to hit the spot.

Sigur Ros? I still don't totally get them, but they may be in there with the spacey noisesters.

JackassJimmy said...

Sigur Ros rocks. The fact that they made a whole allbum without song titles, in a made up language, so people would get out of it what they wanted, is awesome.

There is a whole live show you can stream at NPR.org in the all songs considered section. Check it out.

Cheers,
JJ