Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Planning Dept.

It seems I've spent parts of my life waiting for the next thing instead of going out and making it happen. Maybe that's not quite precise, I spent a lot of time watching and then waiting. When I was younger and more confused it seems I was more likely to take chances and just do something. Nowadays, I have to have a plan or something. Which isn't a good thing as I've never good about putting plans together. I can't think of very many things that have happened in my life according to or even with any kind of plan. Almost everytime I've been hired somewhere it was the first place I've I applied. Even coming here to Colorado and staying was more accident than planned. I never intended to stay more than two weeks and now it's eleven years later.

This seems to indicate to me that planning (in respect to myself) is overrated. Or at least not very helpful. Obviously there are situations where a plan is important for a successful outcome. Like spaceflight. Or a war (I'm going to stop right there). The closest thing I'd like to come to a plan for myself at this point is a plan to quit smoking cigarettes and sell my freakin' truck.

I suspect there are at least two kinds of people in this world. Some of them make plans and stick to them and others just kind of take the world at the randomness that is inherent in the universe, and then there are some people that are hybrids of the two. It seems that both methods seem to work. Maybe some better than others.

Anyway the only plan I have right now is to try and fall asleep soon.

No comments: