Thursday, October 27, 2005

Leave me alone Mofo

Where can I start tonight? I wound up in the bar (the old standby bar that is) and the freak that always seems to show up showed up yet again. I swear this guy follows me any time I try to step foot in this bar. He is one of those guys that listens on the outskirts of conversations and laughs at inappropriate moments. Conversations that have nothing to do with him. I suspect he walks that fine line between drunkeness and mental illness. Even when there is nothing going around him he tends to blurt out a response having no idea that of what is happening around him.

Not that I should talk, I'm sure at times I exhibit signs of perceived mental illness when I'm under the infuence of illicit substances. But I assume that goes with the territory. I'd like to think that in the "normal" life I'm pretty much sane. I'm pretty good about keeping things inside that don't need to be displayed as a public spectacle. Of course, I'll let on to my current obsessions whether they be zombies, the Illumanti or whatever the theme of the week is. But beyond that, I can carry on a rational conversation as far as I can tell.

It probably wouldn't bother me so much if it didn't feel like this guy was everywhere I seem to be. Not to mention that at one point he tried to destroy my camera. In fact, that may be more what bothers me the most. But other than agents of the government, who the hell tries to destroy a camera? That was one of the few times in years I've had to stand up for myself. Maybe that is part of it. But I walked away with me and my camera intact.

Don't get me wrong, I've lived with and loved more than enough people who struggle with some form of mental illness. And yet they seem to be able to function within the confines of society.

I sometimes suspect this is an act for some. Although I doubt the sympathy vote is very high for types like this, maybe it works at some point. And if it does, should I try it?

No comments: