Monday, October 24, 2005

The living dead

I hope that if I'm ever in a situation that involves hordes of flesh eating zombies I have enough ammo to fight them off. Unfortunately, my shotgun can only hold five rounds at most and I know there would be far more than five zombies if the movies are any guide. Of course if it descended to that point, I would break into the nearest sporting goods store stock up on firearms, ammo and then steal something that would drive up a wall and get the hell away from any population centers.

Everytime I watch a zombie flick I play the what if game with myself. Other than a nuclear holocaust, a viral zombie infestation is one of the worse scenarios I can imagine ever happening. Thankfully, those kinds of zombies aren't real. The jury is still out on the Voodoo type zombies though.

I've always had some form of worse case scenario fantasy in the back of my head. Not that long ago it was more of a Red Dawn type of thing but in the last few years it's been zombies. And after shooting off one shotgun slug and seeing the hole it punched in a piece of plywood, if I had a large supply of those I could probably fend off the zombie hordes for a little while. Especially if I weren't the only one fighting.

I'm not sure why I am so quick to embrace invasion fantasies or why I put myself on the resistance side of them. I suspect Hollywood has a fair amount to do with it. Survivor movies have always struck a chord with me and I do see myself as a survivor to a degree. Not that I've ever gone through anything horribly traumatic in my life but there have been a few close calls. In more a (somewhat) more realistic context, I would defend my country if it were to be invaded (although sometimes I suspect that's already happened and it came from the inside).

The chances of anything like this happening are really none, especially a zombie invasion. But if something close does I'd like to think I'm a bit ready for it. I'll at least get a couple of those flesh eating freaks before I go down.

No comments: