Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Money. Part 2

Where Surly Monkey further explores the money/relationship connection. Or not.

It seems that money does dictate what kind of relationships (of the romantic variety) one can have. For myself I can see that one of the reasons I don't date is I just don't have the money to take women out so I don't even ask (obviously that's not the only reason, there is a whole list of insecurities I could rattle off but won't). But to not even have the money for a first date is definitely a drawback. Not to mention, like some commenters in the earlier post, as we get older stability is something all of us are looking for. Whether it be financial, emotional or mental stability we all (or should) move closer to that idea. At this point in my life I'm fine with the last two. Unfortunately, we exist in a world that sometimes the money aspect of stability can override other qualities.

In my own life, I tend to steer clear of those that seem to be obsessed with money. It strikes me as unseemly to have that as the one focus of life. There is more to life than the pursuit of wealth. Having said that, even I would like to have a little more financial assets at my disposal. I'm not really hoping for to much but a savings account would be nice or perhaps even some kind of retirement fund.

As far as the local face of this whole thing, there probably are a lot of women roughly my age around here who are looking for someone with more money than I have or earn. I guess that's fine, more power to them. I doubt rarely if ever I travel in the same circles as them. And I'm sure if I did, the moment they learn where I work, I'm immediately stricken from the potential list. Despite all of my cynicism, I still have some hope that I'll meet that one. Maybe it won't be here in Steamboat and that's fine too, as I don't want to spend my whole life here.

What am I going to do about it? Nothing. I'm going to try enjoy what I have and maybe try to slowly move myself up in life but there is no real point in forcing anything until I get a really good idea anyway.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surly-san, you have much wisdom in what you say... you have much of the Buddha nature... Not forcing your will, but willing to flow with the tides of life will allow you to "spend" your life with less struggle, sorrow and hardship. Besides, the right lady for you won't make you sell yourself like some used car on a lot (or truck for that matter)...

GCU of paradox said...

Well put. Both of you.

Anonymous said...

there are plenty of ladies out there who would like to be your sugar momma.

Anonymous said...

umm, do you still have your brain with its silly firing synapses? good. i'm content.
amy